Celo artist Kat Turczyn speaks with Meredith Adler about Kat’s absolute joy in creating oil paintings. Kat began painting seriously in 2006, after an almost 40 year career as a statistician. Working only with images of people when she first began painting, you will hear Kat talk about how her 2009 move to this area (Celo in Yancey County) inspired her to include landscapes as some of her subject matter.
Listen and be inspired as Kat talks so candidly about her love for creating her paintings!
To connect with Kat and see more of her art:
- SCROLL down the page!
- Visit her website http://kathleenturczyn.com
- Visit Toe River Arts Council Burnsville Gallery
- Visit Toe River Arts Council Spruce Pine Gallery
- Follow her on Facebook (the link is her personal profile page, but Kat says following her profile is the best way to see her most recent art, in her public posts)
Highlights from this episode include:
- How Kat went from being a beginner painter to being in galleries and selling almost everything she paints in just a few short years
- How Kat “infused” her favorite painting with joy (it’s the one at the top of this post!)
- Kat’s search for her style and how she become comfortable with having multiple painting styles
- Why Kat sells her favorite paintings
- Being an artist “in a small pond”
Local Resources Mentioned during this Episode:
- Penland School of Art
- Toe River Arts Council
- One of a Kind Gallery (OOAK) in Micaville, NC
- The Design Gallery (a beautiful gallery in Bursnville, NC that sadly has closed)
Other Artists mentioned during this episode:
- Sandra Gates, Burnsville, NC artist
More of Kat Turczyn’s paintings:
This is the painting Kat discusses during the interview when asked if she had a favorite landscape in her studio:
This is the painting “Kitties on the Edge” Meredith mentioned during the interview: